01 September 2017

Elise

Die kleine van ons kan er toch wat van hoor - gesprek ik de auto onderweg naar huis van de gym

(Setting : picking up Elise from gymnastics this evening and she is very hungry!)

Elise: Did you bring any snacks- I am starving!
Me: I am sorry, I don't have any snacks...I am coming from the office. We will be home soon; I am hungry too!
Elise (total meltdown): What! You don't have any snacks! I am sooooooo hungry!

(We've been driving for a while and several cars are passing ours)

Elise: Can't you drive faster?
Me: I am already driving over the speed limit!
Elise: Why?
Me: What do you mean why?
Elise: Why are you driving over the speed limit?
Me: (parent voice: dang it! Wrong thing to say!) I am just driving a little bit over the speed limit...you are allowed a little over to not get in trouble by the police (parent voice: I did not just say that, did I? Hopefully she will forget by the time she is driving age.)
Elise: ahhhh (questioning tone in her voice).
After driving for a while...
Elise: (reading the speed limit signs)..:are you driving over 35?
Me: (feeling: shit! I got caught by my 6 year old!) euh...just a tiny bit...
Elise: (reprimanding tone) well, I am going to start watching these numbers!
Me: euh, ok!

No comments: